Saturday, September 15, 2012

Remains of a Blurry Memory

I awoke to the rusted sun 
shining through a 6 foot tall window.
My eye lids struggled to stay shut, 
but were shrinking away from each other
as neurons jumped and revived.
A tall shadow crept in front of the rays 
melting away my catatonic state;
a dark figure makes itself known.
A crashing wave struck the back of my brain 
expanding down my nerves, 
preparing them for flight.

A lanky figure with an apologetic face,
matronly-built torso and full legs
which fade into black chiffon dust 
toward the floor
wedges itself between my curiosity and superstitions.  
I mentally shrunk into a crowded corner
where my fear of ghosts and mysterious figures reside.
I found my crying, shivering childhood self
cowering behind a memory 
of shadowy figures who quickly left 
after they knew they had been seen.

When I peek out, 
the faded woman casting her shadow over me
shows her soft, weathered face.
Unmistakable now, 
I’ve known her before, 
in a certain time and space.

Blinking uncontrollably to refresh the image
and rid the room of the familiar intruder, 
I watch her waft closer with open arms and tilted head.
To avoid showing my soul to this eidolon of my past 
I turn my heart away, 
she shrinks like a deflating balloon 
but continues to glide closer.
Her hands gently caress my shoulder and graze my knee.

Taking a hard, deep breathe 
I expel a demand with hopeful certainty
“You’re not real, you’re not here!”
And it was true.
She disappeared.
She came to comfort the inner cherub 
who felt more intensely abandoned than I 
would ever readily admit. 
In a strange way, I was happy to see her,
Its’ been almost a year since grandma passed away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment